So this morning, I did what I shouldn't have done, I stepped on my scale after I at breakfast and with clothes on... needless to say, as I've been trying to lose weight since November via working out and eating health, I have somehow managed not to lose. Well, lets rewind here, I lost 9 lbs two weeks ago, and now I'm, for reasons unknown, back up 5 lbs. So my total weight loss from my highest weight in November is only 4 lbs... what am I doing wrong, and how must I improve. Well, a friend of mine is writing a blog about her journey to lose weight... and I thought, hey, why don't I try this too, maybe there's something I'll notice if I just rewind and pause. I will declare to be honest with my excersize and eating. They do say to keep a food journal... so let this be it, I will write everything I eat in a day. I have a syndrom known as PCOS (Poly Cystic Ovary Syndrom), which is a hormone inbalance, one symptom being obesity, another being infertility, and in order to reduce my symptoms, I need to lose weight, however, it is a slight catch-22, but not impossible. The key is to reduce sugar in my diet... basically having a similar diet to diabetics.
So let me backtrack a little. Ever since I hit puberty, I've been gaining weight. When I was a kid I was really skinny, but then everything went in reverse. I showed signs of PCOS from the age of 10, however there is no way to find out if you have it at that age, and also, back in 1988, PCOS wasn't exactly a known thing. I always noticed that I would gain 10lbs a year... so when I was 10, I weighed 100lbs, when I was 14, I weighed 140lbs, 17 170lbs etc... now if it continues, basically I would be 300lbs at the age of 30... which is not my weight, although, you can see, that gaining 10lbs a year is very hard to notice, the weight just creeps up on you. Gaining less than a pound a month is hardly noticeable, however, now, at the age of 31 weighing 280lbs can really give one a panic attack. In the past decade, I've done many things to try to reduce my weight. I joined Jenny Craig when I weight 200lbs, and as I did lose 20lbs, I gained it all back and then some. Later I tried doing things on my own, and though I wouldn't gain, it was impossible to lose. I lost my father at the age of 22, and perhaps wasn't thinking of myself, and gained some more weight. I decided that I would start travelling more. I lived in Rome and never gained, moved back to Toronto... gained, then I lived in Montreal, later Paris, and I believe I lost in Paris, but I stopped stepping on scales, but clothing fit nicely then. Moved to London, and I didn't gain or lose, moved back to Canada, and gained again, moved back to London, didn't gain, and towards the end, I lost a stone (14lbs) and then I moved back to Canada, and once again I gained... just emphasising a pattern here... it seems as though, the easy lifestyle I have here tends to not agree with my body. One of the main things, is my level of activity (taking public transit, taking long walks... etc) and of course, Timmy's. What can a bagel do?...
I hired a personal trainer in November to help me meet my goals, and one thing he mentioned is that to lose weight 20% is working out, and 80% is diet... he mentioned that I must increase my protein intake and reduce my starch intake, and that only after a strength training workout, is when I can eat starch, and the maximum strength training workouts I can do in a week is 3 times, therefore, starch only 3 times a week. Otherwise 20g of protein before and after a workout (that equals to 2 eggs... this is very difficult to eat at 6 in the morning) and I need to combine my protein with a fruit or vegetable. Due to finances, I had to decrease my personal training sessions to once a week, however, I have gained a friend to workout with, which will motivate me to go to the gym. My gym schedule is as follows:
Monday - 30 min cardio before work, 1 hour strength training after work
Tuesday - 30 min cardio before work (if Monday after work doesn't work out, this is where the 1 hour will go), 30 min cardio after work
Wednesday - 30 min cardio before and after work
Thursday - 1 hour strenght training with personal trainer before work, 30 min cardio after work
Friday - 30 min cardio before work (if I'm not doing anything 30 min cardio after work)
Saturday - 1 hour strength training
Sunday - 30 min cardio
This workout may sound intense, but, you must understand, I doubt I will be doing all of it, so if I miss some sessions, then at least I'm getting a minimum done.
This morning, I did 30 min on the bike. I had a protein shake with frozen rasberries, a 500mL of water and then after my workout, I had half a kabanos (Polish cured sausage)... but I didn't have a fruit or veg... must do groceries today. I will hopefully be seeing Alex (my workout friend, and also a good friend) tonight, and I'll get my 1 hour strength training.
I will post my weight and measurements later, and a photo.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
i plan on being your second workout buddy, if not only for the blog shout-outs. hint hint. oh, and i'm also counting on you to help me get carrie's arms from SATC.
ReplyDeletewill contact you to start later this week...fun!